Saturday, March 7, 2009

Cygwin personal setup

Some time ago I wrote a post on how to setup the looks of your Cygwin bash shell using rxvt. Well, I normally add a few more settings to my environment just to make it more useful.

I add the following lines to my ~/.bash_profile with some aliases to make it easier with directory surfing.


alias ls='ls --color=auto'
alias ll='ls -lsa'
alias l='ls -la'


It is also useful to set some preferences for vi, and this is done in the ~/.vimrc file:


set textwidth=70 background=dark
set is hls ic scs aw ruler ls=2
syntax on


I also like to create symbolic links at my home dir to allow me to have quick access to some of the original and most used folders in Windows, like:


ln -s /cygdrive/c/Documents\ and\ Settings/dambrosio/Desktop/ windesk
ln -s /cygdrive/c/Documents\ and\ Settings/dambrosio/Meus\ documentos/ mydocs


Some other useful symbolic links might be the ones pointing to your drives, because it is faster to type cd ~/c than cd /cygdrive/c

Quick and clean! ;)

Find this article also on definenull.com.

No comments: